The eagerly-awaited 2018 Royal Rumble takes place tomorrow, Sunday 28th January, at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia.
Not only will there be the traditional men’s 30 superstar over-the-top match but this year the first ever 30 women over-the-top Royal Rumble will take place too.
The women confirmed for the match are as follows:
2) Ruby Riott
3) Liv Morgan
4) Sarah Logan
5) Sasha Banks
6) Nia Jax
10) Sonya Deville
11) Mandy Rose
12) Mickie James
13) Tamina Snuka
16) Becky Lynch
17) Dana Brooke
18) Alicia Fox
One of the women will win the match and then go on to face the champion of their choice at Wrestlemania.
The favourite to win the match is Japanese star Asuka, who has yet to be pinned or submitted during her two years in WWE and NXT.
But with spaces still yet to be announced here’s 10 superstars that we’d like to see enter:
10) Stephanie McMahon – Although she has been announced as one of the commentators for the match, it would be great to see Stephanie in the ring. She is perhaps the best pure heel in WWE today and commentators being announced into the ring is a time honored tradition too – so it wouldn’t be too surprising for her to be counted in. If McMahon then went on to win, it would cause serious anger from fans but it is exactly the type of move that we’d expect from a heel.
9) Ivory – Being a three times WWE Women’s Champion is no easy feat but Ivory, whose real name is Lisa Mary Moretti, managed that when she won the title twice in 1999 and once in 2000 thus claiming a total reign of 331 days. She was the only female member recruited to the Right To Censor group but was the one that dominated the group, making her the one the crowd loved to hate the most. Did it stop her from becoming a fan favourite? Absolutely not and Ivory would receive a warm welcome back to the ring.
8) Molly Holly – She was considered as one of the best technical female wrestlers of her day. The wrestler gave her all in each match she took part in – she even gave her hair when she was famously involved in a Hair vs. Hair match where she agreed to have her entire head shaved following her loss. Talk about passion! Molly won the Women’s Championship twice and also held the Hardcore Championship too. Many have since called for her to be a Hall of Fame Inductee.
7) Melina – It would be great to see her unique entrance again and what a better way than into the Royal Rumble. Being one of the most flexible women to wrestle in the WWE, she always put on a show when it came to her in the ring action. Melina won her first Women’s Championship in 2007 when she defeated Mickie James and the duo then had one of the best women’s rivalries in the years that followed. With Mickie confirmed for the match, it would be great to have them compete together again.
6) Kharma -She would be a tough Superstar to eliminate the Rumble and could be the one to have epic showdown with Nia Jax. Kharma caused chaos in the 2012 men’s Royal Rumble where she was a surprise entrant. So why not bring her back to cause chaos as a suprise entrant in the first women’s Royal Rumble match on Sunday night?
5) Jacqueline – Hall of Famer Jacqueline Delois Moore, actually debuted in the WWE as Wynonna, a valet for Jeff Jarrett, but ended up getting injured and left. She spent some time wrecking shop in the WCW then returned to the growing WWE women’s division in 2008. She went on to become a two time WWE Women’s World Championship winner and the first woman to hold the title of WWE Cruiserweight Championship.
4) Beth Phoenix – The Glamazon may have spent much of her run as a heel but she became known as one of the good guys by the time she left. Her legacy will stand the test of time too as she rightfully took her place in the WWE Hall of Fame during WrestleMania 33 weekend. She’s also already entered a Royal Rumble match, competing with the men.
3) Victoria – Victoria became one of the most respected female wrestlers in the business becoming an integral part of the women’s division, winning the Women’s Championship on two occasions and famously defeating Molly Holly at WrestleMania XX in a Hair vs Hair Title match. Away from WWE she turned up in TNA as Tara, where she became a five-time TNA Knockouts Champion and one-time Knockouts Tag Team Champion. Victoria knows how to engage the crowd when it comes to wrestling, so it would be great to have her back in the ring.
2) Trish Stratus – Why wouldn’t we want Hall of Famer Trish in the Rumble? She has held the WWE Women’s Championship belt a record 7 times claiming an 828 days of reign. She’s a one-time WWE Hardcore Champion, three-time “WWE Babe of the Year” and was named Diva of the Decade. She’s a fan favourite. The demand for her is still as strong as ever which was echoed in her return to the Raw Anniversary show, which saw the crowds go wild.
1.) Lita – Hall of Famer Lita is a four time WWE Women’s Championship winner known for her high-flying, risk taking in-ring ability – probably a reason why she became one of the most successful wrestlers of all time. Lita’s draw as a wrestler was echoed when she main evented Raw two times, once with Trish Stratus and the other time with Stephanie McMahon. She was seen back-flipping from the top rope as recently as 2012 when she appeared on the 1000th episode of Raw, so why not now in 2018?